Thursday, July 16, 2015

Interview with Kelley Grant, author of The Obsidian Temple


Title: The Obsidian Temple
Author: Kelley Grant
Publisher: Harper Voyager Impulse
Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy
Format: Kindle 

 After a harrowing escape to the desert, Sulis Hasifel finds her calling is not yet fulfilled. Traveling to the Obsidian Temple—the site of an ancient divine battle—Sulis is tasked with mentoring Ava, a young girl with a troubled past. Together, they join a group of magically gifted warriors to re-make the very fabric of the universe. But the fate of the world hinges on whether Ava can harness her power, and some trials cannot be overcome.

 Returning to Illian, Sulis's twin Kadar finds that his lover, Farrah, has abandoned their newborn daughter for the revolutionary cause. Not willing to give up his dream of a family, Kadar vows to stay by Farrah's side. But when he finds that Farrah is willing to anger the gods to aid the Forsaken caste's uprising, and as she steps farther down a violent and dark path, Kadar must decide if he will help her…or let the world spin out of control.

 In this mesmerizing sequel to Desert Rising, Kelley Grant brings us back to the cities of Illian and Shpeth, drawing her epic fantasy tale closer to the trilogy's stunning conclusion.

  ORDER INFORMATION The Obsidian Temple is available for purchase at  
amazon
BNHarperCollinsadd-to-goodreads-button3

Q: Please tell us about The Obsidian Temple, and what inspired you to write it.

A: The Obsidian Temple is the second book in the Desert Rising series. Sulis and her great feline Djinn return, getting swept up in a prophecy and the secrets the desert contains. Her twin Kadar is entangled in the plight of his Forsaken love as the city of Illian erupts into turmoil. This book felt like I was simply channeling the characters I brought to life in Desert Rising, telling their stories.

Q: What themes do you explore in The Obsidian Temple?

A: It explores necessary evil – does good or bad depend on situation? Is there such a thing as necessary evil? It also explores the face of madness and the essential bonds between people that keep them sane.

Q: Why do you write?

A: I have so many stories in my head that I need to get them out onto paper! I love creating a new world, watching the characters and plot unfold and playing with the language until it conveys exactly what I want to say.

Q: How picky are you with language?

A: With the first draft I just let the words flow onto the page. The second draft is for carefully choosing words, making the language flow so it doesn’t interfere with the story.

Q: When you write, do you sometimes feel as though you were being manipulated from afar?

A: Not from afar – from within! Sometime I worry a creature is rising out of the murky, underused portions of my brain and that this brain-creature within is the true puppet master for my writing. How else would characters shock me on a daily basis?

Q: What is your worst time as a writer?

A: Early mornings and deep winter months.

Q: Your best?

A: I am a very seasonal person, so it depends on the time of year. Spring and Summer I write outside as much as possible, from 11am until done. Late fall, through winter my best writing hours are night – 11pm until done.

Q: Is there anything that would stop you from writing?

A: I have had periods where I shut myself down with terrible self-criticism and negativity. When it comes to writing I am my own worst critic and enemy. Giving in to depression and self-defeat – that is what would stop me. If I let myself be – I am free to create.

Q: What’s the happiest moment you’ve lived as an author?

A: Opening an email from Harper Voyager and finding out I was going to be published. I was one of the 15 (out of over 5000) submissions accepted in their unagented submissions contest. That was the first novel of this series, Desert Rising. I believe I was levitating for weeks.

Q: Is writing an obsession to you?

A: No. It is a love, a dream. The words flow onto the pages, my friends the characters come to life with those words and we play together in this wonderful new world. I don’t obsess over them – I let them be as they are and the writing is as it should be.

Q: Are the stories you create connected with you in some way?

A: They’re the child of your imagination – like children, they grow up, go off on their own adventures and become something different to everyone they resonate with. But they’re always connected to you as their creator.

Q: Ray Bradbury once said, “You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.” Do you agree?

A: I would add being drunk on reading as well as writing. Reading and writing, especially fantasy and science fiction, are ways of exploring and processing reality on your own terms instead of on the terms of the media and talking heads around you.  

Q: Where is your book available?

A: It is available digital-first at Harper Collins, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo and anywhere you buy ebooks. It will be available in paperback in bookstores in August.

Q: Do you have a website or blog where readers can find out more about you and your work?
A: Website:
Twitter:
@kgrantwrites
Facebook:


Kelley Grant grew up in the hills of Ohio’s Amish country. Her best friends were the books she read, stories she created and the forest and fields that inspired her. She and her husband live on a wooded hilltop and are owned by five cats, a dog and numerous uninvited critters. Besides writing, Kelley teaches yoga and meditation, sings kirtan with her husband, and designs brochures and media.

For More Information
  Visit Kelley at her website  
Facebook
Twitter

No comments: