Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Conversation with Judy Serrano, author of LINKED



Judy Serrano holds a Master of Arts in English from Texas A&M University, Commerce. She is the owner of Make Cents Editing Service, and was an adjunct professor at a local college. Currently she teaches high school English and is a freelance writer for certain on-line publications. Judy also writes romantic suspense and paranormal romance novels. She is the author of The Easter’s Lilly Series, The Linked Seriesand Ivy Vines, Visions.

Although originally form New York, Judy resides in Texas with her husband, four boys, four dogs and now two cats. She sings and plays guitar when she has time and enjoys singing with her very musical family in church when she is able.
Her latest book is the paranormal romance, LINKED.
For More Information

Q: Thank you for this interview. Can you tell us a little bit about your writing background?

I have a master’s degree in English and have always had a passion for my craft. I edit novels for other writers and write for certain on-line periodicals. I have three series out right now. My first one is a Mafia romance called Easter’s Lilly, My second is my featured novel, Linked,  and my third is an urban fantasy called Ivy Vines, Visions. I have been publishing since 2010, but writing since I was 12 years old. Yes, 12. Apparently those pesky characters of mine have been haunting me for a very long time, now.

Q: What fact about yourself would really surprise people?

Although I may appear to be a strong, independent woman, I am a marshmallow when it comes to stray animals. I have four dogs, and seven cats, so clearly they’ve got me pegged. I really think they tell their friends where the good food is.

Q: What scares you the most?

Writer’s block. So far (and I am knocking on my wooden table right now) I have never suffered from it. But if that day comes, I think I might roll over and die. Or maybe, I’ll have to go out there and create something to write about.

Q: What makes you happiest?

A six piece basket of hot chicken wings. Preferrably the flat ones. My boys always tell me that when I am feeling sad, to go to the nearest restuaruant that carries hot wings and get myeslf some because they always make me smile.

Q: What are you most proud of in your personal life?

My family definitely makes me the most proud. I have been married 20 years and have four boys, all teenagers. They are very supportive and truly amazing men. Although sometimes the testosterone in the house can get a little thick, I am made to feel as though I am the queen of their household.

Q: What is hardest – getting published, writing or marketing?

Getting published is the hardest thing if you are not self-publishing. You have to have a clear genre, and send letters to the right people… so on, and so on. Marketing is the next rough thing. You simply have to have the time to do it, or find someone else who does. Writing is the easy part. I just sit down with my Mac and put my fingers on the keys. My characters will step out onto the page and do the rest.

Q: Every writer has their own idea of what a successful career in writing is, what does success in writing look like to you? 

I will feel successful when writing is my only job. I am so pleased that I have a small following, but when I can simply stay home, write, and publish, I will know I have made it.

Q: Tell us about your book? What’s it about and why did you write it?

Linked is a story about a substitute teacher who falls in love with the kingpin of the vampire Mafia. He also happens to be the dad of one of her troublesome students. Linked is about linking vampires to humans. When a human turns into a vampire, they lose their soul. This soul is then reincarnated into another human. This soul will seek out its previous vessel until the vampire finds his/her old soul and desires to link. Pretty scary stuff.

Q: When you are not writing, how do you relax?

I love to watch sitcoms. Life is hard enough, so watching something funny lifts my spirits and makes me laugh. I also will confess to watching a vampire series or two. I really miss watching Sookie and her crazy adventures. Don’t tell her I told you that, though.

Q: Please tell us why we should read your book?

Linked is a different type of vampire novel. It is about vampires linking with the souls of humans. When this kind of link occurs, the vampire begins to take on human traits. This is most desirable for most vampires. In most vampire books, vampires are running around killing or turning humans. Although this does happen in my book, the link is the focus. I fell in love with one of my characters so much that I created book 2, First Blood, just for him. My vampires are crazy sexy, and involved in organized crime. Vampire Diaries, look out!

Q: What kind of advice would you give other authors just getting their feet wet?

Write about what you love, and don’t write for the market. Markets change, but passion bleeds out onto the paper. No pun intended.


No comments: