Tuesday, August 16, 2016

A Chat with Davin Whitehurst, author of 'I Have Faith'



Davin Whitehurst lives in the beautiful high desert of Southern Arizona with his wife and son. He is releasing his first book "I have Faith" in May of 2016 but has so many more that are in the making. The motivation behind the books are deeply rooted from in his own past. He is a living testimony of Proverbs 22:6. Growing up in Southwest Kansas and in a Christian household, he was trained up in the way he should go. By the time he became a teenager, Davin turned away from God and left church. Fast forward into his late twenties and God brought him back with a powerful calling. He and his family have been faithfully serving at Seed of Abraham Christian Center International for over seven years now. Proof that when we teach our children the way they should go. When they get older, they know where to turn and will not depart from God. Davin wants each book written to be a resource that parents have to help train their children in the way they should go. He writes stories in a simple way that will be fun and practical for every child. He wants children to get excited about faith and the things of God.

His latest release is the children’s book, I Have Faith.

For More Information


It’s a pleasure to have you here today, Davin. Can you tell us what your new book is about?

I Have Faith begins as Danny, who longs for a dog, decides to use his faith according to what his mom taught him from the Bible. Putting his faith into action, he prays for a dog, knowing that his parents do not feel he is ready for a dog. As soon as he believes, doubt comes, even through Danny's best friend. According to the circumstances, it doesn't look like he will ever get a dog, but God proves Himself faithful. Based on my true-life faith journey as a child, this story encourages your
child to discover that the promises of God are "Yes" and "Amen" while they learn to build their precious faith.

Can you tell us a little about your main and supporting characters?

Danny is the main character who is just learning about the principles of faith. He is an action taker and puts his new found faith to work right away. He has a brother who does not believe that they will ever get a dog but Danny is strong in his new found faith and does not let his feelings or the opinions of others get in the way of God’s promises. He is a character that shows children how to believe in the promises of God.

Danny’s mom is a supporting character that I want to talk about; a mother who wants to teach her children the importance of God’s Word and how faithful He is. A mother who is diligent in making sure her children understand the bible and how to live by faith. Thank God for mothers who teach their children in the way they should go.

Open the book to page 3.  What is happening?

Danny’s mom is reading to him bible verses about faith before he goes to bed. This is the beginning of how Danny learns about faith. In Romans 10:17 Danny learns that faith comes by hearing the word of God. Page three is a great way to show children how they develop faith, as it all starts with the word of God.

What has been the most pivotal point of your writing life?

I have always been a creative person. From the time I was sixteen I knew I was supposed to be in art, writing, music and so on. The biggest moment for me was a little over a year ago when I finally decided to start one of my story ideas for real. I had another book that I never finished and many other ideas but I finally found an illustrator and we finished I Have Faith. So many people say that they want to write a book or start a business or do this or that but never do. I was one of those people until I decided I am going to finish my first book. That has been the catalyst to getting more writing done and on my way to finishing my second children’s picture book.

What kind of advice would you give other fiction authors?

Follow your dreams. Who cares about failure? Learning as you go makes the journey fun. I always seek God on what direction to go and He has never failed me. I use the story of Peter walking on water; many speak of the fact that he sank. The major thing is that he walked on water. You can be someone who walked on water or someone who stayed in the boat. Get out of the boat and live out what you have been called to be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for having me on. I enjoyed the interview and sharing I Have Faith.